Hello, I’m James. I’m a WordPress-focused developer with a high-level knowledge of sales and marketing and a fantastic understanding of business.
I work remotely for clients and on my own businesses and have been doing so for 5 years. My WordPress websites are fast, secure, and easy to manage. I’ve worked with several digital agencies over the years creating high quality, highly customised websites, that not only work well but also help the owners make more money and generate new business.
With my main focus on WordPress I know the right way to implement your desired features. I can be your technical partner and advisor, not simply a coder. I can provide hosting recommendations to ensure the best performance of your website. I’ll recommend features that will improve your business not hinder it.
Focus on mobile and best practices
Everything I create is mobile-first and responsive so it adjusts to the device the user is using – this is especially important now as most of the sites I create have 50%+ of their visitors from mobile.
I use WordPress best practices to develop. I don’t use off-the-shelf WordPress themes or page builders, everything is custom created to ensure quality and speed. Your website will only get better with every update to WordPress, and there will be no issues when it’s time to update.
Experienced with Marketing and SEO
Due to my background in marketing and sales, I will optimise your site from a marketing and sales perspective to ensure your website performs brilliantly for your business. I focus on speed and technical SEO optimisations so that search engines like Google want to put you at the top of results.
I can make the backend part of a WordPress website as easy to use as the frontend, crafting tools that will make updating the website simple and straight-forward for any user.
WooCommerce and ecommerce specialist
I’m an experienced WooCommerce developer, so can transform your WordPress site in to an ecommerce solution, or transfer your existing ecommerce store on platforms like Magento or Shopify to WordPress (including migrating old orders and existing customer data).
How I work
- I work great with general HTML/CSS/PHP/JS and have a solid understanding of scaling servers and performance.
- I generally find WordPress is an excellent fit for most client websites, but if it’s not the right fit, I’ll be happy to tell you.
- I’m a big advocate of mobile-first development so sites I create are small and fast and scale up to desktop size, not down to mobile.
- I love to work with designers who use programs like Sketch, Adobe XD, or supplying files via software like Zeplin or Avocode, and I’m happy to experiment with new software when it opens up interesting new ways of working with designers. Photoshop is acceptable but not ideal.
- I strive to produce pixel-perfect code in line with designs; I want the designer to be happy with the website, as well as the customer and users.
- I use a highly customised Visual Studio Code as my main IDE. I used to use Atom and Sublime Text.
- I test all my websites on Google Lighthouse and GT Metrix to ensure they are highly optimised, that Google will love them and they are fast for users.
- I mostly use a highly customised bare bones starter theme as a basis for all websites I create to speed up development. This is a bare bones SEO / speed focused theme and it cuts out a lot of repetitive setup work.
- I don’t use theme builders – everything is coded for the client. I don’t like to rely too much on plugins, but will work within budget restraints or requirements.
- I develop sites locally, using MAMP and often compiling everything often via CodeKit or Gulp.
- I generally deploy using WP-CLI if the server has it enabled, or use plugins like WP All-in-One migration or Duplicator.
- Happy (and I prefer it) to use a Git workflow, so changes can be committed and rolled back if needed.
- I use Toggl to track my time as I work, I charge to the second and don’t round up.
WordPress Specific Skills
- Complete WordPress website development
- WooCommerce – setup, development, customisation, migration
- Custom Theme creation
- Gutenberg and Custom Blocks
- WordPress Multilingual
- Plugin development
- Advanced Custom Fields (ACF)
- Custom Post Types (CPT)
- Membership / users management systems
- WP Affiliates
- Gravity Forms / Ninja Forms / Contact Form 7
- Yoast SEO
- MailChimp integrations
- HTML5, CSS3, SASS/SCSS, LESS
- PHP, MySQL
- JSON, XML
- Grunt, Gulp
- Slack/Slack Bots
- MailChimp / SendGrid
- SEO – Technical & Content
Hire me as your WordPress developer
Want to work with me? I love to work with agencies and web designers who want to see their designs brought to life on the internet. Contact me below for my recent portfolio, day rate and availability.