Hi, I’m James, a WordPress-focused developer for hire. I make fast performance-optimised websites that help your business reach more customers.
I love to make great looking WordPress websites that are fast, secure, and easy to manage. I focus on building websites that are performance-optimised, accessible and easy for you to update. Staff, customers and Google love them. I want to make websites that not only work well but also help the owners make more money and generate new business, I want to make sure your website ranks highly and beats your competition.
A professional WordPress development service
With my main development focus on WordPress I know the right way to implement your desired features. I can be your technical partner and advisor, not simply a coder. I can provide hosting recommendations to ensure the best performance of your website. I’ll recommend features that will improve your business and grow it, not hinder it. I can advise you best practices when creating features or designs.
I’ve been living WordPress since 2008
I’ve been making WordPress sites since 2008. I work with WordPress everyday and in my spare time, I attend WordPress meet-ups and conferences all over the world, and have spoken at a few. I also contribute to WordPress – I am a WordPress core contributor, plugin maker, and I’m active in the WordPress Slack and GitHub repos. I love the concept of Open Source.
Focus on mobile, performance and best practices
Every website I create is mobile-first and responsive so it adjusts to the device the user is using – this is especially important now as most of the sites I create have 50%+ of their visitors from mobile.
I use WordPress best practices to develop (my code conforms to WordPress Coding Standards). I don’t use off-the-shelf WordPress themes or page builders, everything is custom created to ensure quality and speed.
Experienced with marketing and SEO
Thanks to my background in marketing and sales, I will optimise your site to ensure your website performs brilliantly for your business. I put a lot of attention on speed and technical SEO optimisations so that search engines like Google want to put you at the top of results.
I can make the backend part of a WordPress website as easy to use as the frontend, crafting tools that will make updating the website simple and straight-forward for any user.
WooCommerce development and ecommerce specialist
I’m an experienced WooCommerce developer, so can transform your WordPress site in to an ecommerce solution, or transfer your existing ecommerce store (on platforms like Magento or Shopify) to WordPress (including migrating old orders and existing customer data). I can integrate PayPal, Stripe, Apple Pay and other payment solutions.
100% remote work for 8 years and counting
I’m from London in the UK, but have been a fully remote worker long before a pandemic world. I am used to dealing with timezones, meetings at odd hours and async communication. I’ve had clients in San Francisco to Singapore, New York to Newcastle, Paris to Peckham via Prague, and I’ve never yet had an issue with being available or not being able to communicate.
How I work
- I generally find WordPress is an excellent fit for most client websites, but if it’s not the right fit, I’ll be happy to tell you. I also work with Laravel.
- I work with frontend – HTML/CSS/JS – and backend – PHP, servers, performance, scalability
- I’m a big advocate of mobile-first development so sites I create are small and fast, and scale up to desktop size, not down to mobile.
- I love to work with designers who use programs like Figma or Sketch or at least hand-off tools via software like Zeplin. I’m happy to experiment with new software when it opens up interesting new ways of working with designers. Photoshop is acceptable but not ideal.
- I strive to produce pixel-perfect code in line with designs; I want the designer to be happy with the website, as well as the customer and users.
- I use a highly customised Visual Studio Code as my main IDE.
- I test all my websites on Google Lighthouse, WebPageTest.org and GT Metrix to ensure they are highly optimised, that Google will love them, and they are fast for users.
- I use a custom built bare-bones WordPress theme as a basis for all websites I create to speed up development. This is a SEO and speed focused theme and it cuts out a lot of bloat that many themes suffer from, plus repetitive setup work.
- I try to make my websites as accessible as possible. I test them using Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) to make websites that meet the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally. I can work with designers to ensure the design is legal and accessible.
- I don’t use theme builders like Elementor or Divi – everything is coded for the client. Page builders make websites easy to build, but not easy to maintain. Websites I make are easy to maintain and update.
- I don’t like to rely too much on plugins, but will work within budget restraints or requirements and use plugins which are known, tried-and-tested, and good security practices.
- I develop sites locally, typically using Docker/Lando and often compiling everything via Gulp or Grunt and maybe CodeKit, sometimes Webpack.
- I generally deploy after testing using Git, possibly WP-CLI scripts if the server has it enabled, or as last resort use plugins like WP All-in-One Migration or Duplicator.
- I will use a staging or development server to test changes before deploying. Working on a live site is not something that is best practice or what I want to do.
- Even if your company doesn’t use it, I personally always use a Git workflow so changes can be committed, versioned and rolled back if needed. I’m happy to share access to the repo with clients should they ever need it, or work on your repo.
- I work remotely for clients and have been doing so for 8+ years. I’ve never had issues with timezones, communication or not being “in the office”. Async communication lets me do my best work.
WordPress specific skills
- Complete WordPress website development
- WordPress performance and speed optimisation
- WooCommerce – setup, development, customisation, migration
- Custom WordPress theme creation
- Gutenberg and custom Gutenberg block development
- WordPress multilingual
- WordPress plugin development
- Advanced Custom Fields (ACF)
- Custom Post Types (CPT)
- Membership / users management systems
- WP affiliates
- Headless WordPress / JAMStack WordPress
- JSON REST API, GraphQL and WPGraphQL
- Gravity Forms / Ninja Forms / Contact Form 7
- Yoast SEO / Rank Math optimisation
- MailChimp, SendGrid and mailing list integrations
- Hubspot, SalesForce, SalesForce Marketing Cloud
- Staging, backups, access management
- CSS3, SASS/SCSS, LESS
- PHP, MySQL
- JSON, XML
- Grunt, Gulp
- Slack/Slack Bots
- Amazon S3
- Mandrill, MailChimp, SendGrid, MailGun
- Stripe, PayPal, WooCommerce Payments
Hire me as your WordPress developer
Want to work with me? I love to work with companies, agencies and web designers who want to see their designs brought to life on the internet and give their customers an awesome website experience. Contact me below for my availability, day rate and how I can help.